Collection of software and organisational behaviours, that powers the Totalism hackbase.
* document all own projects (green ellipse)
* link them from graph
2017-10-10 (added graph)
Table of Contents
The Totalism Hackbase is running since 2011.
This is a collection of software and organisational behaviours that powers it.
1) finding out what is really needed (speculative information tech research)
2) assemblage + assembling for easy deploy of existing tools
3) coding the remainder ourselves
* free software
* easy to deploy on GNU/Linux
* both backend + data easily replicable ("self-hosted" on every machine)
* resilient (=you can still read & work) even with full-offline, or localnet-only
* takes best of intermittent periods of internet
Contact & Social Media
Also see: 🔗pr, ...
Current hackbase workflow for text does not need internet:
* installed on local server (= somebody's laptop) for collaborative writing:
* enables individual and group brainstormings
* for all-hands meetings ("overviews" / "reviews")
Also see 🔗workflow-ethering for some good practices on how to collaborate with Etherpad.
2) Etherpad Fetches:
* bash script downloads Etherpad pads to local filesystem (as text & html)
* files go to Syncthing folder
* P2P local file sync
* user discovers others by manually adding any single node
* (all other files there too)
In this way, even if "local server" is down / unreachable, all resources are still accessible to everyone locally.
There are spreadsheets in .ods format.
LibreOffice Calc is used to edit them.
* presence (log of people staying, their contribs, etc)
* full financials (running costs per person, space totals, ...) - see 🔗subfinance
* resource use (water, energy, gas, food, ...) - see CHT-ARCHIVE🔗subeconomics
* inventory of bought stuff - see 🔗stuff
* simulations / modelling:
* food and nutritional needs - see 🔗food
* food production (agriculture) ins and outs
* solar energy - see 🔗solar
* subflow/subtime (time and work models)
* logistics and supply chains (cargo ships, visual cargo count...)
* land attribute analysis - see 🔗land-attributes
* generative architecture - see 🔗hacking-housing
* hack fields + activities per EU spaces - see 🔗hack-fields
* easy to use + accessible for everyone
* prototype new UIs
* bad for external data read/write
* not consistent
Future: <---- #TODO
* make it easier to extract data (.ods to CSV/JSON/...), see here!
* replace data entry/edit moves to etherpad + middlemachine-based "template" user interfaces
* replace data processing and display moves to apps
* Internal maps site:
* All maps are open-editable !
* based on Google MyMaps (ex "Google Maps Engine")
* This will be migrated to self-hosted OpenStreetMaps <------ #TODO
* There is a custom .GPX export available (via GPSBabel) so we can use it with OsmAnd !
* OsmAnd (Android/iOS):
* offers free worldwide offline maps!
* get full free version via F-Droid (PlayStore version is limited)
* possible to import our points from 🔗maps !!!
* also supports recording (tracking) to .GPX:
* currently we have no good organised storage for this <------ #TODO
* offline .KML and .GPX copies of 🔗maps
* subset of .PDF maps <--------- #TODO: offline "Nomad Pack"
* stored .GPX tracks (trekking, etc)
* used sometimes for location sharing
* (### : replace)
* constant tracking with this?
* IRC: #hackbases on Freenode
* IRC: quassel server + client
* Whatsapp <---- don't care about privacy too much sometimes
Software - Testing:
* migrating IRC to matrix.org + weechat
* Telegram Groups are supposedly nice
* gajim + avahi + gpg crypto ?
* tox.chat ?
* nmap (discovering others on network)
* .local (avahi/mdns/zeroconf)
* tinc-vpn maybe?
Calendaring / Scheduling
Some way for people to coordinate when they're coming around, assisting 🔗flocking.
See http://totalism.org/schedule and 🔗schedule_ (development)!
Tracking site changes
Currently using git gui, on .txt exports of all the pads from website.
* need to find some RSS solution for 🔗E2H
* probably put the complete website as a git repository on github (would also handle RSS)!
(other small bits)
IN DEVELOPMENT / MISSING PARTS
P2P Local Resource fetching / Routing ("LINKROUTE")
Media - photo, audio, video - curation ("HYPERPHOTO")
Ties to 🔗text, and subprojects.
What is needed:
* acquire (beyond libgen and aaarg) - a "total collection"
* curate library (personal, interpersonal)
* either way:
a) read pdf/epub/mobi/...
b) better - compare to new, universal, better format, etc
* ability to annotate and share annotated stuff
* default mobile device to work with (eink / tablet)
Offline archive ("MIRRORABLE" / "TTARCHIVE")
A way to access mirrors of most important content when offline.
Funding system (for land, etc)
Wrap own? Take one of crowdfunding sites? Have a "shares" system with plots?
Managing common accounts & sharing access
* keeping passwords and permissions to operate (wifi, server, ...)
* multi-person decision / clearances
* 🔗stuff - stuff we have
* 🔗ordering - stuff we need
* merge from local "cht" pad
* david's "+++ workflow"
* david's notes on #mirrorable and #internet3
<---------------------------- add (new) here: [...]
use Textexpander for your OS
app list + some theory
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.