Lifestyle expenses economics
"Databox" Representation, CHT hackbase ~Season 3 (2013/2014).
Table of Contents
|1||Meta <--- skip this|
|3.1||CHT: Currently <-------- !!!|
|3.2||CHT: Past camps notes / log|
|3.3||CHT: Seasons 1-3|
|4||Expenses Data Collection|
|5.1||* general expenses a.k.a. space expenses|
|5.2||* crew expenses|
|5.3||* personal expenses|
|5.4||* personal investment|
Meta <--- skip this
* 🔗web(R/W), search "funding"
* 🔗workflow(R/W), search "numeric data"
* 🔗manual(R/W), search "subfinance" (somewhat deprecated)
Related / Merge in:
* from Internals:
* Subfinance spreadsheet models !!! (include power & water)
* Gnucash logs for CHT4A
* http://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Subeconomics (sketch)
* 🔗cht4b-christina(R/W) comments, search "subfinance"
* David's desktop notes
* Cool charts to come here once 🔗E2H(R/W) is updated to support them, via 🔗dev-charts(R/W)
"Subfinance" is way of tracking and representing, in complete, an institution's (or person's) outgoing finances (expenses). It's a core part of representing a lifestyle. (For this, also see: 🔗metrics(R/W)).
Expenditures can then be:
2) represented and understood
3) prioritized for elimination
5) all fully eliminated
* a core tool to monitor the approach to zero monetary expenses ("full money independence"). The Subfinance chart "implodes", when expenses are hacked away. Aka, "full postscarcity".
* a way for expenditures to be:
* no money = post-scarcity, post-capital(ism), post-market(ing)
CHT: Currently <-------- !!!
Basics for residents:
* "be able to cover your own costs + support the base infrastructure"
* the goal of the project is to minimize these expenses, to approach zero
Current contribution breakdown (sketch):
(shared complete food, nootropics, ... for current camp)
* space _ maintenance account:
(infrastructure repair calculated average, project upkeep, ...)
* space _ investment:
(dividing TOTAL 🔗stuff(R/W) costs by all person days, to repay past investment, and keep at least the same future investment trend, buying 🔗ordering(R/W))
All of the details are available in spreadsheets.
~14€/day, 100€/week, 400€/month
You can definitely survive with this during your stay.
There is a limited chance for a starving rate (~10% people):
if you are broke, unemployed, and break nothing
~9€/day, 63€/week, 270€/month
You're very encouraged to do donation rate (~50% people):
if you have decent work, or if you're staying <2 weeks
20€/day, 140€/week, 600€/month
* space _ investment accounts for stuff you bring, if we want to take it. Bring stuff from 🔗ordering(R/W) or what you're sure is useful!
* check what personal costs are, below
For a complete expenses breakdown, see:
TOTALISM-ARCHIVE🔗cht5a.ods! <---- This will work in 2017-03 somewhere.
The crew rate depends on:
* the effectiveness of your food shopping:
quality food (and other running shopping) is ~5€/day
there is room to bring this to ~3€/day!
consult: 🔗markets(R/W), 🔗resources(R/W), 🔗manual(R/W)
Project-related outgoing expenses:
* ~50€ / year: projected for infrastructure (domains, servers)
* ~50€ / year: paper promo materials
* (future) project-related travel
Forms of contributions:
🔗membership(R/W) (€ for equipment investment)
🔗coop(R/W) (€, 2017!)
CHT: Past camps notes / log
* seth was treasurer
* individual extra contribs (seth car, etc)
* used Gnucash
* missing people break financial plans !
* individuals extra contributions (r4mp)
* misunderstanding with jarkko
* cht4b2-4 (david):
* running costs with La Graciosa were <200€/month
* (but this with no infrastructure contribs and expert supplies organisation)
* subfinance chart sticker, done by lorenz yay
* select small donations
* lots of investment +strfry
* expenditures on car
* drama with pre-paid, and what it covers (+ww, +lor):
NOT MORE THAN PROJECTED COST
* unclear situation "convertible debt" (+cumbia):
* <----------- [NOW] : write this out
CHT: Seasons 1-3
Seasons 1-3 were perfected and more centralised - the keeper of the lab was always the same guy and also did Treasury and Supplies/Shopping. These are now defined as Roles (separated, freely assignable to anybody, and structured), see 🔗roles(R/W).
Outcomes + problems:
* unoccupied house we still needed to pay in summers
* collecting money regularly
* once the system got going, it was good
see Databox above
* david while hypertravel year 1/2 ?
* elf pavlik lives moneyless ?
* joey hess (ex Debian, etckeeper, git annex) lives off the grid http://joeyh.name/
* Kranj/Slovenia temp hackbase (stub)
Expenses Data Collection
Practices and tools used:
* collecting and archiving all paper trail (bills)
* the Subfinance Calc (.odt) numerics sheet
* GnuCash (deprecated, used in Season4-A)
* general expenses a.k.a. space expenses
* all hardware
* stay and utilities (power, water, bottled gas)
* crew expenses
* shopping budget (food)
* buses for shopping
* rented car
* (more per crew consensus)
* personal expenses
* drinks when going out
* discouraged food:
* sweets >0.2€/day
* eating out (covered only to level of crew budget)
* excessive booze (>2 units OR >0.5€ of alcohol/day)
* excessive nootropics (>0.5€/day)
Can be zero! All essentials are covered in crew expenses.
* personal investment
* specialty clothes
* sleeping bag
* basic personal products
#TODO : Develop this - this is what the space normally expects you to have and doesn't provide. ;-)
A representation of a pie chart is used, for the reason that it shows:
* the totality as totality (unlike for example bar charts)
* still a good focus on rough relative differences in part sizes
CHT's typical "Subfinance" is also it's logo:
* The last version of the has been generated in Season 3, so it should be updated. <--- [NOW]
* Idea was to show how it progressively IMPLODES <---- #generative #logo
* Important is to focus on the relative parts.
Also see / merge:
* notes +lisa , see CHT🔗chtcharts(R/W)
* E2h will support charts soon. Lorenz did some work here.
* data out of "subfinance" calc numerics
* current one done in Illustrator (awkward! shame!)
* physical versions: keep printing stickers! also t-shirts!
Similar / interesting:
* view-source:http://budget.hackerspace.gr/2015/ <-- data totally page integrated
Spending, as a strategy of deciding what to buy, where from, etc - is being investigated as a separated protocol / set of processes. See 🔗ordering(R/W).
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.