CYBERHIPPIETOTALISM (CHT) Lanzarote
Off-grid Permanently Temporary Hackbase
Season 4 & 5 (2014-2017) Open Plan
This document is editable, feel free to add info, suggestions, questions or whatever.
"A manifesto means nothing without a mechanism."
Table of Contents
CURRENT STATUS + NEXT CAMP
The next camp is planned on http://next.totalism.org !
Previous camps are listed there.
Communication via email@example.com (see 🔗list), and relevant pads.
You can also email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
General info @ http://totalism.org/
The 2011-2014 house (CHT#1) is no more: renting does not scale (house size is limited), you have limited control over architecture and surroundings, and it bleeds money. It's not a smart decision long-term.
The plan for this year is to experiment with, and finally buy + set up a Liveable Hacklab Campsite, a desert hackbase, as an extension of the manifesto 🔗hacking-housing:
* Study and set up off-the-grid infrastructure:
Fund solar (photovoltaics) and wind;
Get a water cistern and research seawater purification
* Buy a piece of land & build a liveable camp ground-up:
This means: tents, sheds, hexayurts; stone walls; subterranean construction.
Check 🔗stuff - list of what we already have; this includes:
* camping equipment for ~10 people
* advanced camp infrastructure (off-grid power, networking, etc)
* basic tools and hackerspacey stuff
* local nature, supply-chain and people know-how
(project has been in Lanzarote for 4 years!)
* No money leaks - establish ownership:
Land: rent-to-buy agreement (installment payoffs);
Infrastructure: invest-to-own (own electricity > paying bills)
* Nomadic / permanently temporary:
Focus on non-fixed structures and nomadic migration processes.
See 🔗status (stub).
* Fund the project:
See 🔗donate. Thanks!
* mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or 🔗contact for other ways
* IRC #hackbases and #chtotalism (Freenode)
* help with a one time or regular donation here: 🔗donate
* Or just show up (*don't actually do that too much)
* Facebook event (deprecated): http://www.facebook.com/events/1492565911019303/
ROUGH FINANCIALS (Infrastructure budget)
* roughly 30.000€ all together
* could sustain ~30 people (??)
* ~5000m2 (70 x 70m) land:
* 100 7x7m subplots (or 30 13x13m subplots)
* ~5kW solar & wind installation + Water tank + Communication tower
* land ~ 10-15.000€ (~3-6€ / sqm)
* land manipulation + walls ~ 2000€
* materials for Structure 1 ~ 1000€
* energy: wind setup ~ 1000€
* water: cistern tank + pump = 500€
* water: desalination = 2000€
* water: sink / showers: 300€
* wastewater = ...
* more power tools ~ 300€
* net = long-distance wifi ~ 300€ <- see ubiquiti or Freifunk etc
* transport vehicle ~ 2000€
* security systems ~ 1000€ (yes, lasers)
* food storage ~ 200€
* washing up ~ 200€
Also see 🔗stuff (under "Stuff needed") and 🔗ordering.
SEASON PROJECTS / PRIORITIES
Also see done and ongiong work and ideas in:
* 🔗season4-A (November-December 2014)
* 🔗season4-B (April-June 2015)
* 🔗season4-C (February-March 2016)
* 🔗season4-D (May-... 2016)
* Set up and document diverse desert camp bases
* Hackbase architecture:
release existing CHT architecture work, Facebook group + 🔗hacking-housing manifesto
* Abstract the hackbase model:
publish + assist in replicating the infrastructure
* Grow own food:
1) complete numeric model, evaluating all inputs (expenditures) & outputs = finances, water, work effort, energy, farming tech (irrigation, machinery, ...)
2) technical farming: investigate new crop types, sensor architecture (cybernetics), controlled experiments
3) find a partner farm to immediately apply practices to [under way!]
4) demonstrate capacity for self-sustainability:
* limited monoculture (potatoes)
4 people avg, 200 days = 1000 person days in Season 4
at 2500 kcal / day ~ 500g potatoes/day
total ~500kg for full, at ~5kg/sqm = 100sqm (10x10m)
* 10% (Demo):
3 x 3 sqm plot, expected yield = 30kg
supplement with 3-5 other test crops
plant time: ?
5) rely on no-upkeep techniques (initial effort + simple crops + cybernetic systems)
6) [mstefanow] Consider using http://www.soylent.me/ or a DIY version http://diy.soylent.me/ - I actually purchased from the EU store - http://www.joylent.eu/ - and it is very practical, nourishing. Highly recommending instead of really hard work with agriculture.
* Institutional framework - define and possibly incorporate a cooperative:
See 🔗coop and 🔗coop-index.
1) common ownership (land + inventory)
2) External market representation for work:
1) "High added value":
Example: software development, research, sysadmin
at ~20€/per hour, that's ~20h/month of work
2) Simple work:
Example: agriculture system upkeep, construction
Focus on education in disruptive models for basic fields
at ~5€/h, that's ~80h/month of work
* Establish institutions needed internally and make available externally to the local community:
* non-profit shop ("basic supplies redistribution")
* non-profit community kitchen
* Lower person costs for 30%, to under 300€/month (stay+food+lab):
(this should be a yearly trend)
* Smart house + quantified house; "intranet of things"; improve ideation workflow
* Free, Libre and Open-Source Lifestyles (FLOSL):
* representation of a lifestyle (time and money dependencies)
* models for cross-comparing time/money/effort etc
* continued work on 🔗poster as medium
* Set up a music studio and book bands
* IN FOCUS: Management Cybernetics:
* Open source Cybersyn, also see Mutual Coordination Economics Working Group
* "Future modelling": Open source World3 (from The Limits to Growth)
* IN FOCUS: Nomadology and Field Expansion beyond "home":
long-distance wifi, mobile basic life-support systems, ...
* Politics of hacking + Futorology:
* "Hackers are an abstract class, but one as yet to hack itself into manifold existences." --Mckenzie Wark, A Hacker Manifesto (2004)
* analyse possible global political outcomes, pick desired ones
* analyse different possible tactics to achieve this
* Members to have clearer commonality, but NOT community:
* beyond communities = inclusive opt-in commons:
"anyone has freedom from, and freedom to"
* Infrastructure > Community ("tap water" > "kind friend letting you drink")
* communities are cliques, because there is a concept of "belonging"
* 🔗commonground - commonality in knowledge foundation
Also see 🔗roles, 🔗newcomers, 🔗flocking, ...
Choosing & Buying land
* Consult 🔗land-attributes document.
* Baseline land price is 3-6€/square meter
* Study legal situation (for more, see 🔗hacking-housing outline):
What's permitted on specific-types of lands?
Figure out what the "building codes" are.
Figure out the best:
* conforms to natural sense
* is possible without corrupt building permissions
* What to build:
Tents / Yurts / Sheds / WikiHouse / Hexayurts / ...
SEASON ACTIVITY SO FAR
________________________________________________ Pre-season (Oct 2014)
Prepare & publish materials for new season.
* Brussels/BE: CoopCon: Hackbases & Coops festival @ HSBXL
* Lüneburg/DE : Post-Digital Scholar conference @ Leuphana
________________________________________________ Season 4/A (Nov 21 - Dec 21 2014)
Camp #1: "Experimental hacker campground".
🔗season4-A - See here for complete details (setting, projects, etc).
Ended for break to visit 31c3 (Hamburg/DE) in end of December.
________________________________________________ Break (Dec 21 2014 - April 6 2015)
Analysis of Season 4-A and EU nomadism.
* Hamburg/DE : 31c3 (Chaos Computer Congress) (Dec 25-31)
* Hamburg/DE : hanging out at Attraktor space (Dec-March)
* Brussels/BE : talk at FLOSS Community Metrics (Jan 30, 🔗metrics slides)
* Brussels/BE : meetup at FOSDEM (Jan 31-Feb 1)
* Paris/FR : dcht00 in Glenn Branca's Symphony °16 (Feb 15-20, more here)
* Paris/FR : hanging out at awesome 1500m2 Electrolab hackerspace (end of Feb)
* Hannover/DE : #hackbases at CeBIT lol (Mar 18)
* Berlin/DE : hanging out at CCCB and C-base (Mar 20)
* Hamburg/DE : conference Building Democratic Confederalism (Apr 3-6)
* 🔗maps - EU hacker maps
* 🔗calendar - EU hacker calendar
________________________________________________ Season 4/B (April 6 2015 - June 21 2015)
Camp #2: "April repopulation".
🔗season4-B - See here for all info.
Still a stub as of June 17th, will be merged with all offline docu...
* CHT4b/1 @ Lanzarote (Apr 8)
* CHT4b/2 @ Graciosa (Apr 20)
* CHT4b/3 : Lanzarote resupply (~ May 11)
* CHT4b/4 : Graciosa II (~ May 22)
Ended June 21st.
________________________________________________ Break (June 21 2015 - February 2016)
So (David's plans):
* Hamburg (MS Stubnitz)
* #cccamp15 ~mid August
* more Berlin
* Kranj, Slovenia <-- on October 22
* Bologna hackerspace visit (HacklabBo) ~ 15-20. December
* 32c3 ~ 20-30 December 2015
* FOSDEM ~ end of January 2016
________________________________________________ Season 4/C (February-March 2016)
Happened! More here - 🔗season4-C, updates coming soon!
* Leipzig + Sublab hackerspace
* AnthropoceneCampus @Berlin
* SquatConf @Berlin
* SQEK @Rotterdam
________________________________________________ Season 4/D (May-July 2016)
See 🔗season4-D for full planning & report!
Event draft: //Hypercongress 2018//
A 1-2 week idea-mapping & coliving event assisted by smart software.
Hosted as a Lanzarote base.
* Core: ~4 days in ?
* Extended: 4 days before + 4 days after (12 days)
* main site: http://totalism.org
* Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberhippitotalism
* Twitter: http://twitter.com/@chtotalism
* Wikipedia article on Off-the-grid
(Feel free to write any random stuff here or anywhere in the pad, it's publicly editable)
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.