* 2017-10-07 quick check
Table of Contents
What are roles?
"Roles" help organize the division and responsible performing of work inside coliving situations. Especially in a place like CHT: residents are highly fluid (lots of incoming and outgoing, sometimes short stays, etc); some jobs are survival critical, some technically complex.
* allow for ad-hoc groupations of people:
that don't know each other, and must coordinate on who oversees what
* are not "chores" but fields of responsibilities:
holding a role does not mean you do the work, but that you're responsible it's done
* are at the centre of CHT's post-community, infrastructure+process focus.
* it is not one person per role - if you are the only person in camp, you have all the roles
* are more or less complex, more or less time-intensive
* some roles paralyse with some better than others
* roles can be performed by externals (non-residents/visitors):
(like Driver, Clothes Washup, Photography, Documentation, External Reporting)
* are rotated, to facilitate knowledge transfer, and process innovation.
ORGANIZATION + BUREAUCRACY
* KEEPER / META ROLE:
* make sure [that it is made sure] that roles are occupied
* lead transitions (between role holders)
* "last person to make sure everything works"
* develop new roles + theory
* oversee improving existing roles:
* with others, this happens during Reviews
== ~1h / day
* consult CHT🔗cht-role-planner(R/W)!
* coordinate (time, etc) plan (of space + all individual people activities)
* shape subtime / subflow, according to weather
* work +Planner
* advance pings ("60/30/15/5/1 minutes!", "let's start packing now")
* make sure we stick to plan ("even if people are ignoring")
* collects all bills and runs accounts
* enter numeric data to Subfinance:
* (expenses) bills + inventory (for stuff)
* (people) presence + paid contributions
* upkeep the system (via manual) <--------- #todo
* log donations, manage accounts, ...
* also see: 🔗subfinance
* ensures completeness
* ensures transparency (published + understandable)
== ~0.02/day + 0.5/month <-- (in Subtime format)
* INVENTORY (Stuff + Storage):
* UPDATE INVENTORY:
* what's carried personally? (especially when traveling)
* see and maintain:
🔗stuff, 🔗ordering, 🔗shipping, 🔗markets
* prepare storage for camp downtime!!! <-- responsible
* merge 🔗workflow and CHT🔗workflow(R/W) !
* tag everything and curate equipment subsets and organisation
* Food - CHEF & SUPPLIES:
* work +Planner to schedule re-supplies
* takes people to supply shopping
* maintain rationing
* needs ~1:4 assistants for cooking
* needs ~1:3 assistants for shopping
* maintains a clean kitchen + pans & knives
== ~1h/day ... 0.1
* Food - SOUS-CHEF & Fruit & Nootropics
* prepares breakfast + tea
* suggests nutritional interventions (fruit, nootropics, (food, water))
* maintain the makeshift refrigerator:
(at least something like a shaded rock wall / cave, dug hole in the sand)
* Food - DISHES + HELP OUT:
* general operation:
* make sure we have forks, plates, etc
* dishes need to be cleaned
* maintain system, see CHT🔗cht-manual-camp(R/W) (black+pink bucket, etc)
* coordinate with:
== ~15min/day ... 0.02
* trash organisation ("new bags") + emptying + recycling
* minimisation! coordinating with others
* internal: recycling, upcycling
* picking trash laying around
making sure nothing attracts pests (flies, roaches, dogs), arrange and manage traps
* CLOTHES WASHUP:
* handle collection
* sort types
* inform on runs
* inform deliveries
* plan in advance with hosts! (if at least 2 sleeps, 100% possible)
* at host immediately throw stuff in
* hand-wash clothes?
PEOPLE / COMMUNITY
* make sure all is properly documented, currently mostly:
* take care of newcomers, consult 🔗newcomers
* make sure basic apps + systems are installed!
* INTERPERSONAL / PSYCHO:
help pick from existing methods, refine, and develop:
* performance indicators (KPI):
* personal evaluation / status
* group and subgroup status
* resident logs + metrics technology
based on the research:
* new processes for optimal ("harmonious") functioning of the resident group
* resident attitude adjustment (talk, routine, practice, etc)
* objective, predictable process-based intermediation, conflict documentation, and resolution
Also see CHT🔗cht-psycho(R/W)!
* WORKFLOW INFRASTRUCTURE (DEPLOY + DEVELOPMENT):
( consult 🔗workflow )
* deploy and maintain the technical infrastructure (Syncthing, Etherpad, ...)
* maintain 🔗workflow and CHT🔗workflow(R/W) technical infrastructure
+Electronics (sensors, quantified x, etc)
* NETWORK & communication & internet:
* subseason main pad, like CHT🔗cht4d(R/W) (for lists)
* 🔗faq ("Internet")
* INTERNET: list + manage 3G devices & SIM cards:
* if people need MORE internet time than camp provides:
* work +Keeper and +Planner to try to improve infrastructure
* arrange squatworking needs (+planner):
* this can/should happen by the way ("let's go eat to that place on the way with wifi")
* write down and distribute wi-fi passwords
* run (mobile or wi-fi) AP hotspots
* PHONE: list + manage GSM (phone+sms) devices & SIM cards:
* make sure there's always a phone available for calls
* oversee that /contacts are accessible
* LOGS: manage logging:
* data usage
* plan data availability (don't use too much or too little)
* ELECTRONICS (INFRASTRUCTURE SUPPORT):
* R&D + deploy + upkeep parts of infrastructure for:
* quantifying infrastructure with +Documentation
NOMADIC TECH INFRASTRUCTURE
* CAMPING MASTER (architecture & urbanism):
* work with newcomers
* regularly check camp
* coordinate experiments and push 🔗hacking-housing manifesto+pad
* DRINK WATER:
* calculate & make sure there is enough water +Supplies
* make sure:
* we are taking enough water on trips / camp leaves!
* there's enough 1.5L containers (=all have a personal and marked one)
* all residents, personally, are hydrated!
* log stuff:
* dehydration events
* always 3 days supplies minimum
* calculate and organize refills + containers:
* for +Washup ~1L/day
* showers ~2L/shower
* cycle different qualities of water:
(rinsing -> washing up -> soaking)
* supplies in (every time)
* current levels (periodically)
* coordinate consumption if scarce (showers, etc)
* always have 2 days supplies minimum
* running water
* water purification
* ENERGY SYSTEM (generation, batteries, monitoring):
* run diesel generator + schedule maintenance
* consult 🔗solar
* batteries, conversions / regulators, ...
* oversee new experiments
* log usage
* ENERGY CONSUMPTION (mobile devices, etc):
* store + carry necessary stuff:
* splitters, cables, etc
* make sure there are extras of all +Inventory
* make sure people's devices are charging if power is available:
* "no empty sockets"
* manage data
* LIGHTING - PRACTICAL:
* inventory of available "personal" portable lights + borrowing
* charge and arrange portable lights
* LIGHTING - DEVELOPMENT:
* R+D+D ("Research, Development, Deployment")
* technical (wiring, programming, ...)
* supplies + shopping + price numerics
* DRIVER (transport people and things):
* current car: 🔗trucko
* drive the car responsibly
* inform availability (when you're available and where you're going)
* log km and expenses (space, non-space group, non-space individual)
* ??? +Navigator / Logistics
* if needed, arrange car rental and financing
* COLLECTION AND ARCHIVE ("DATA OTAKU"):
* REGULARLY COLLECT ALL FROM EVERYONE, checklist:
* photos +Photography (-> Syncthing) 
* bills +Treasurer (-> Bag + Pad) 
* time logs from all (-> Pad) 
* consumption/utilities/"Cycles" (-> Numerics) 
* sensor data +Electronics (-> ???) 
* ACCESSIBILITY: make content accessible:
also consider 🔗linkroute
* ARCHIVE ORGANISATION:
* set the system (model / hierarchy / system)!
* preservation + reorganisation of data!
* Internals Iiindex (CHT🔗CHT(R/W))
* ARCHIVE TOOLS & CONTENT TODO:
* local media content archive, see 🔗tt-archive:
(partly in Syncthing but not completely)
* offline accessible pages, with 🔗mirrorable project:
(not really deployed yet)
* collect audio, gps treks, ...
* WRITING (PRODUCING DOCUMENTATION):
* PRODUCE REGULAR WRITING:
* beyond collecting (+Archive), make sure subseason is properly documented
* write subseason logs, example CHT🔗cht4d-log(R/W)
* enforce and lead processes (REVIEWS, OVERVIEWS,...) and protocols 
* +Photography (real-time guide, photo overview, ...)
* see 🔗representation.systems
* take cool photo/video documentation, min ~2/h 
* ready to shoot whatever somebody points out
* photo manipulation
* video montage, ...
* BASIC CURATION:
"select and annotate good images"
#TODO define system:
* "++" is useful, "++++" should be published
* DO NOT:
"delete bad ones"
* EXTERNAL REPORTING / PR:
* ONBOARDING: inform residents:
* make everybody aware this is a public project
* photo (default: "share all internal or external, post people or their stuff only with permission")
* content (default: cc-by-nc)
* produce more good content!
* no outside drama, present in a positive way if possible
* LEAD CURATION +All:
* make sure to have a minimal curation of good enough materials
* example: re-post photos from internal chat group
* work to capture best shots:
+Photography +Documentation +Archive
* POSTING: regular posting to social networks:
* see 🔗pr \ "Public profiles", especially:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
* keep list of accounts + passwords to access space's profiles
* post updates, photos, etc: 3x/week is minimum, 3x/day is optimal
* decision usually +Keeper / anyone else
* ANALYSIS: run and report on analytics:
* track and regularly present indicators:
site visits, enquiries, incoming mails, followers, etc
* also see 🔗pr
Project specific roles
"Skills you don't have internally". Ties to 🔗p2c2i.
* Material construction (wood, metal welding, etc)
* Window fixing dude
* Cleaning ?
Merging from internals:
* 🔗cht4b-christina Christina in 🔗season4-B on developing roles and day timelines
* Roles are similar to CCC infrastructure groups:
* example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7sll2T5dYc
* MOC, NOC, VOC, SOC, POC, NOC, ...
* ??? : MOC, WOC (Wiki), ROC (Radio), ...
* logistics? :
* after 33c3 slovenia->salzburg->hamburg fail
* ties to #vaults
* representation systems ?
* documentation educator + fix prioritization/proposals
external roles are also "all roles part by a production plan"
so "Roles on [specific] Projects" aka "project production roles"
(like for art projects)
This also applies to #hypertravel (people travelling together), not just bases like 🔗hackbase-type2.
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.