Basic resources should be non-profit and accessible to anyone, anywhere without reliance on community-locked knowledge. This focuses on nomads.
2017-08-06 theme, reorg
Table of Contents
Mission + method:
* expose supply chains:
b) online + way of delivery
* establish own basics supplier:
* non-profit / post-profit
* open supply chains and optimising governance
* codenamed "Lim0"
What + Where + How much
Other relevant sites
* Nomadwiki🔗Main_Page(R/W) !!!!
* http://hitchwiki.org/en/Main_Page (travel with hitch-hiking)
Inside this page:
* 🔗maps, including links to other places like Nomadwiki, etc
* 🔗stuff: for what things are "basic" for the hackbase lifestyle
* 🔗subfinance: organizing and spending money
* 🔗manual: under "Shopping"
* ->>> #thl (trans-hyper-local)
(6 ways to die by Vinay Gupta)
PLACE TO STAY
* Hackbases network:
* see Hackerspaces.org🔗Hackbases(R/W) (and links there)
* see Hackerspaces.org🔗Residencies(R/W)
* check 🔗alike
* look through 🔗maps
* ask on IRC (#hackbases on Freenode)
* free camping:
* for Lanzarote, see 🔗landsites
* for EU, see 🔗maps ("Sites" markers)
* take care of the environment!!
* at friends / "the community":
* all who rent should maximize
* especially those who own apartments and land - as they have opportunity for modifications
* sharing sites:
Liquid shared rented house (hackbase type-1)
Start a 🔗hackbase-type1 - sharing a rented place.
Full mobile hackbase (hackbase type-2)
CHT can assemble + deliver it for ~2000€ euros.
See 🔗food for a general food shopping list.
* never eat outside + learn to cook + share meals
* know your sources:
* know prices well (check various big, specialty, ethnic and local markets)
* know specific local-grown food, and its seasonal availability, well
* buy in bulk at local cheap supermarket chain
* find "reduced before expiration" items at supermarket
* cooperative approaches:
* community kitchens
* form a bulk-buy cooperative !!! <yippies
* dumpster diving:
* see http://trashwiki.org, organized by locality
* organize a group that is able to:
* find patterns (observe!)
* regularly collect + prepare for storage (sort, clean!)
* store (freeze!)
* distribute (access + rules + group!) and prepare food (kitchen!)
* Lidl (nuts!, bread, corn-flakes, meat?)
Weekly calendar for "Küche für alle" in Berlin - freshly cooked food against donation (mostly 2 euros/meal)
Map of fruit trees and other edible goodies in public spaces
Germany + Europe:
Find free food in your area - rescued from supermarkets or given away by individuals
* Dia is probably the cheapest shop
* see 🔗manual#____SHOPPING_(FOR_FOOD)
See 🔗vegan (stub).
Can be cheap, especially proteins...
Nuts are essential yet hard to find cheaply.
* LIDL ~10€/kg all types, since 2016 even pecans are 15€/kg
* ties to "what to bring from where". Example:
if you're flying from South Africa, bring 50kg extra Macadamia nuts.
Asian shops will have bags for 0.9€ !!!
Also see 🔗wild-food !
Contact lenses + solutions
* you need "all in one"
* "sterile saline" doesn't desinfect and shouldn't be used for storing !!!
* Bought 12€ monthly pair in Berlin:
* @... ???
* the date was expired, so I went and got another pair
* DM has them up to -4.75
1.2€ for 100ml !!!!!! <--- STOCK UP ON THESE AND TAKE THEM ON PLANES
2.79€ / 360ml (all lenses, own brand)
* @Carrefour : ~7€ / 360ml (all lenses, own brand)
* Morrisons: £2.97 for 250ml, not always available instore, pre-order online: http://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Contact-Lens-Solution/287662011
* Tesco / Sainsburys £4 250ml:
* Boots all-in-one £13 for 360ml
* For contacts + eye check:
(did not try yet!)
* http://ceneje.si :
10€ / 360 ml is best deal ??!
See 🔗markets and 🔗ordering!
Also see 🔗x220 and 🔗graph-postapple.
Lim0 project now distributes laptops.
Base price ~350€:
Lenovo x220 + i5 + 16gb + 256gb ssd + new 9 cell battery + 1 year warranty + coop fund
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
3G / Data plans / SIM cards
Basics in EU:
* ~ June 15 2017, roaming will be free
* As of Sept. 2016, at least one provider already offers free data roaming within 43 European countries on prepaid SIMs (the "YOU" plans of Vodafone Netherlands; YOU online only is 10€/mo for 1GB)
* Until then, from May 1st 2016, it's 6c/MB (60€/GB) without a package
* Some providers offer (100MB, 500MB, etc) international data in their packages. That's good deals.
* Normal pre-paid price is 1GB for ~8€ including the SIM
EU / international packages:
* Three UK SIM:
* SIM is available on ebay for less than 2€ incl shipping
* could be best option for a lot of data on Lanzarote as well
Spain / Lanzarote:
* We're currently using Lebara. Details on CHT🔗cht-role-comm(R/W).
* Lyca also looks cheap (5€/gb)
- In Germany all SIM cards need to be registered with name and address. Most of the time name and address are not checked.
- In Berlin there are a lot of stores that will sell SIM cards that are "already activated" in some random guys name.
- Where to look?
- Kottbusser Damm (the whole street has many small telecom shops. if they advertise "LYCAMOBILE 3GB 10€" for example that's what you need)
- Sonnenallee ((the whole street has many small telecom shops. if they advertise "LYCAMOBILE 3GB 10€" for example that's what you need)
- Want to know everything about German SIM cards?!
Bikes (and repair)
You need a 0-50€ bike everywhere.
CHT has some available already.
* London (UK)
* Paris (FR) (@Damien)
* Rotterdam (NL)
* Kranj (SI)
* Ljubljana (SI) (access to bike-sharing card)
Talk to David.
* Hamburg (DE) :
Talk to David (needs to be fixed),
also need 7€ bike-sharing keychain <-------- #TODO +lorenz
also MS Stubnitz has bikes
* Brussels (BE): ??? (access to Velo bike-sharing)
Priority / need:
* Lanzarote (ESP) : CHT (last one was stolen...) !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free bike maintenance classes and 'Dr Bike' repair sessions
via local council borough website where you are based, e.g. Islington:
Repairing things / DIY
Place to get help fixing stuff.
General - Computers & electronics:
* should be a trans-EU meetup / hackerspace !
(stub by wischi)
- Young innovative FinTech Startup - lol, why do we even write about it here? - because their bank account is the easiest to open as you don't need proofof address, so the card can be shipped to a hotel hostel or friend.
- You can use every ATM in the world for free (expect some ATMs in US or Thailand that charge their own fess).
- It gives you a IBAN number to send and receive transfers in the EU for free.
- Everything is controlled through their smartphone app which also shows you everything you spend in real time.
- In Germany you can pay up to 100€ per month cash into the account, after that it costs 1,5%.
- The account does not charga any monthly fees.
- You can open this bank account with a shipping address in Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Greece, France, Italy, Ireland, Slovenia, ID and a smartphone.
- Basically like number26 but in GBP instead of EUR http://monese.com also costs 5GBP per month
- http://getmondo.co.uk/ Like monese but newer.
* DKB (free no ATM fees worldwide)
number26 (free no ATM fees worldwide, works with a awesome smartphone app, sign up here to donate 10€ to CHT http://number26.de/einladen?token=8JWOJ-sdkCl6qf (wischis Ref-link, not sure if this link works at all. contact wischi to get a personal link that gives wischi 10€ that will go directly to CHT)
* Bank of China: Just go into a local branch with your passport some cash to pay into your new account (100 RMB is more than enough) and ask them to open an account for you. If they don't understand go to the next bigger branch.
International Money Transfer:
* surprisingly Western Union is free if you send the money directly to someones bank account
* In the EU al transfers, even international ones are usually free
* Nomad backpack:
seem to cost ~70€
55L goes on planes hand luggage and is recommended (david)
(bigger too but haven't tried that many times)
everything you need in the nomad backpack
See 🔗backpack !
Cheap but as dubious as anything???:
sun glasses !
* (all in Europe have CE certificate, so they are safe)
* street vendors / Teguise market go to 5€ in Lanzarote
* Primark!! ~1€ ???
* in a year, I spent: ~50 of total 5000€ (so 0.5-1%) <-- #subfinance
<------------------------------ (new): structured ABOVE, fragments/list BELOW
* logistics / post ???
* a shipping address ???
* Lanzarote, see 🔗shipping
* Slovenia (Kranj) - ask email@example.com
* washing clothes ???
* printing place ???
* posters for cht
* posters for cht meetup
* posters for teaching computing
* but also
* stickers -> stickermule? not super cheap, ~15c per small sticker
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.