Promotion practices (analysis, social media, print, ...)
Table of Contents
* 🔗media for past responses to media attention
* 🔗Posters2post on where to leave materials (stub)
New media systems:
* http://representation.systems as general ways of representation
* 🔗poster / 🔗metrics as ways to represent the project
* 🔗workflow maybe?
* 🔗todos maybe
* 🔗faq for answering obvious questions?
* 🔗cfp for some previous Call for Papers / public materials
* 🔗non-shitty cool institutions?
"post-marketing" with 🔗representation.systems
* http://www.slideshare.net/dmc500hats/startup-metrics-for-pirates-long-version !
* metrics-driven marketing
* "customer lifecycle": acquisition / activation / retention / referral / revenue[conversion]
* choosing "marketing channels"
* "A/B testing"
* user testing:
* check all stuff marked with "[NOW]"
* ... or #TODO
* clear protocol / checklist (for 🔗season5-B)
* something other can perform as well
******** RESOURCES, LISTS
* IRC: #chtotalism (Freenode) !!!
* hackerspaces.org !!!
* Facebook !!!
* Twitter !!!
* Instagram !!!
Also present on (hackbases in general, lists, maps, etc)
* #hackbases (Freenode)
* http://ic.org :
http://www.ic.org/?post_type=directory&p=146828 <-- but doesn't work? <-- TODO
* Nomadwiki.org (mentioned) !
* github >> maybe make it an organisation instead of regular account <--- #TODO
* hackercouch.com (via dcht00 git account)
Profiles: TODO !
* not looking for "exposure" blindly
* always refer to project KPIs!
* CouchSurfing http://www.couchsurfing.com/ !!!:
also look at CS groups!
* workaway http://www.workaway.info/
* transartist <michela !!!!! http://www.transartists.org/
* BeWelcome http://www.bewelcome.org/
* helpx http://www.helpx.net/
* Helpstay http://helpstay.com/
* Hospitality Club http://www.hospitalityclub.org/
* Global Freeloaders http://www.globalfreeloaders.com/
* Globalhelpswap http://globalhelpswap.com/
* Warm Showers, cyclist specific http://www.warmshowers.org/
* Camp In My Garden http://campinmygarden.com/
* RV With Me http://rvwithme.com/
* Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/
* Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/contact/business_listing/new
* Eat With http://www.eatwith.com/
* Mealsharing http://www.mealsharing.com/
* Eat With Me http://www.eatwithme.net/welcome
* RV Share http://rvshare.com/
* TrailerMade http://trailermade.co/
Insider/Local Travel Tips:
* Vayable http://www.vayable.com/
* Stumbleupon http://www.stumbleupon.com/
* Pinterest http://uk.pinterest.com/
* Flickr http://www.flickr.com/
* Slideshare http://www.slideshare.net/
* Reddit !
* [...] <----------------------------- [NOW]
Social media endpoints
Physical promotion materials
THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE MUCH MORE !!!!!
A3 and A0 splitting
Printed in the past
* A8 small paper cards (Justine design, Paris, ~2013 for Ohm), ~100
* A3 posters (Sara design, Helsinki, ~Mar 2014), ~50
* A6 flyers (Sara design, Lorenz print, Hamburg, ~Dec 2015), ~1500
* round stickers (Sara design, Lorenz print, Hamburg, ~Dec 2015), ~200
Print + post:
* massive numbers of A4 prints of Sara design @Lanzarote and @everywhere:
Prepare / design:
* "Datagram poster" version, see here
* 2-page info sheet / booklet ?!
* new "easily understandable" design for hackbases
Live presentations & Slides
🔗32c3 <--- FOLLOW THERE FOR MORE
Current best slides: <------------------------- [NOW] link up >david
* 32c3 lightning talk slides:
* squat conf:
* improved 5min slides (via 32c3, 33c3)
* improved 1.5h talk slides (via coopcon, bologna)
see 🔗cfp and 🔗events
List: People to contact / "Target audiences"
General lists - who to talk to:
* 🔗commonground - important authors
* people following social media accounts (make list)
* people who have visited CHT, review other than FB, mailing list??
* people who follow others with similar ideology on social media
* people who run similar orgs, e.g. Newspeak Houes
* Benefactors interested in donating and supporting (at art openings and press nights etc)
* <-------------------- [NOW]
Published theory authors:
* Mckenzie Wark
* John Thackara
* Dmytri Kleiner
* Vinay Gupta
* Bruce Sterling
* Nick Srnicek
* David Frayne - 'The Refusal of Work - The Theory and Practice of Resistance to Work' @workdogma
* Ralph Fevre - 'The Demoralisation of Western Culture' and 'Trouble at Work' @ralphfevre
Hackers + theory:
* Harry Halpin
Published theory authors - lists:
Blogs, sites, Facebook groups, etc:
"anyway, we can totally promote it at the P2P Foundation blog" +ah.uhm
Groups / "target audiences":
<------------------ [NOW] brainstorm here
* "people looking for alternatives"
* Organisations and institutions on maps
* Non-profit venues such as Cafe Oto, ICA
* Young people: University students - focus: political/scientific/technological
* Academics/organisers of events at LSE etc
* SWP/Socialist orgs
* Environmental orgs
* Arts and Activism orgs
List: Queries / Keywords / Searches
Queries / keywords:
* "live-in hackerspaces"
* "post capitalism"
* "open source ecology canarias"
* makers lanzarote
* zero marginal cost canarias
List: Finding mutual interest
<------------- (NOW): add more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People >< Space
"What space offers to people"
* see totalism.org "Comrades!"
* "rent is too damn hight" / cheap living
* technology should be free
* platform for camp experimentation
"What space wants from people"
== KPIs at CHT🔗CHT(R/W) !
* 2015-08 : eldiario.es (FB:350k), questions on 🔗media-eldiario
* 2017-02 : http://medium.com/hacking-digital-britain/hacking-capitalism-a-nomadic-hackbase-is-trying-to-usher-in-techno-utopia-f5366dd79e6d by Manisha
* [...] ?
* Vice Germany (FB:260k), questions on 🔗media-vice_
* Canal+ video ??
* Wired ?
* Other tech publications
* Lanzarote media ???
* also British and US Vice
* Guardian ?
* New Statesman and other left media
* also see: http://totalism.org/http://totalism.org/non-shitty#____Journalism___Magazines__etc , etc
* [...] !
Media strategy / timeline
* CURRENT STATE:
* small-scale highly-targeted promotion to get camp
* select focused publication to test impact
* barrier to entry, like 🔗newcomers
* TEST FULLY SCALABLE:
* full roll-out to big publications (Guardian, etc)
* PROVEN FULLY-SCALABLE:
* keep media attention
* call for external review (media, science)
Tools / Workflow (analytics)
Current (USE REGULARLY)
* Website statistics:
totalism.org Piwik <-- david has access
* Ad-words keyword analyzer:
#TODO: make a list of keywords!
Stuff to setup (TODO)
* google webmaster tools:
* observe inbound queries
* #TODO: share link here
* #TODO: set this up
* piwik visitor data (per site, heat maps, etc)
* Volumes of online content on that topic?
* google search data
* twitter data
* fb data
* online news data (specific sites?)
Needed website improvements !
See & add under 🔗todos !
Especially: photos, content readability, ...
New season: Promoting + Checklist
<-------------------- #TODO !!!!!!!!!!
What should point here:
* 🔗flocking (needed general steps)
* 🔗newcomers (for what individuals should/can do)
"NEXT" CONTENT LABOUR:
* merge from desktop
* user test!
* prep content & special content:
* short text
* Instagram (separator, tag list)
* post public:
* to all Facebook groups (LIST!)
* mailing lists, see 🔗alike#LIST___MAILING_LISTS !
* individual hackerspace's mailing lists:
* Twitter tag list
* Twitter direct address users for RT
* Twitterstorm !? lame?
* Create Facebook event + make invites
* regular post to main channels:
(Twitter, FB, Instagram)
* individual mails @ mail:
* re-contact people
* write directly to who might want to come?
* get media features:
* [...] <------------- #TODO
* user test site
PROCESS (brainstormed, stub):
* ask user to find the hacker base
* land on site
* what is it. read it out loud.
* how do you find it?
* would you go there? why not? <-- #CBR
Research how to do it right:
* put keywords on website
* upgrade E2H to meet standards
<----------------------------- (new): structured ABOVE, unstructured BELOW
good twitter callout (sva for hackbeach)
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.