"Liquid shared rented/owned house"
Part of 🔗architecture(R/W) / 🔗hacking-housing(R/W).
If you need help with anything, send a mail to email@example.com !
Table of Contents
A Hackbase or Hackerbase is a Live-in Hackerspace - a hackerspace with a capacity for coliving:
- everything you would expect from a hackerspace + place to stay (sleep, eat, ...)
- ... this includes being publicly accessible (via a clear and non-discriminatory process)
- able to host short or long-term stays
- residents cover their own costs (which are usually far less than "normal" lifestyles)
- extension on the practices of sharing already present in hackerspaces
- hosts hacker Residencies and Exchanges
For a type-1 hackbase:
* "Liquid" = anyone can come at any time, stay for any time, go at any time.
* maximize ability to host people, minimize cost
* a place to live and work ("coworking and coliving")
* maximize "positive" and "negative" freedom:
(maybe read Isiah Berlin here)
* replication instructions, or "how to start a hackbase" (this type, anyway)
* define inter-coordination infrastructure (for several bases)
* PLACE -- find & choose a suitable place:
* low-cost !
* interesting location:
very populated? (cities, interesting suburbs, ...)
very natural? (nature, landscapes, ...)
* relatively free from interference (with neighbours, building owners)
* reconfigurable (free to change interior at least to a normal extent)
* EQUIPMENT -- tools:
* don't worry too much from the beginning to have everything.
* necessary (house):
* a functioning kitchen
* household textile: towels, blankets, pillows, covers, sleeping bags, ...
* beds / inflatable air mattresses
* other house basics (washing machine, couches, mood lights, ...)
* basic sound system
* a medic box
* necessary (lab):
* work furniture (ergonomics): table, chairs
* power plugs
* net: internet uplink, house wifi coverage, LAN cables
* simple house server
* basic DIY tools: screwdrivers, battery multi-tool...
* boxes / strong bags to organize things (cables, ...)
* for reference, see:
🔗stuff(R/W) for example from CHT
also, 🔗ordering(R/W) (for things CHT is investigating)
* HOUSE MANUAL -- master document:
* example (for Lanzarote hackbase):
🔗manual(R/W) (also partially, 🔗web(R/W))
* open editable by anyone:
in this way, rules are maintained by consensus
suggestion: using etherpad + 🔗E2H(R/W) works best!
* must contain:
* basic info (where, purpose, financials, etc)
* how to get there
* rules and house dynamics, also see 🔗roles(R/W), 🔗newcomers(R/W)
* basic location context:
nearby shops, transportation points, cultural sites
(see 🔗maps(R/W) for reference)
* INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE -- reconfigurable, ergonomic:
* create a transformable ("reconfigurable") space:
* unfixed roles for rooms! (not separating sleeping/working space)
* easily movable furniture
* don't assemble things in a way that are difficult to change
* use surface trays (TODO: missing picture)
* maximize ergonomics (quality sitting) and work surfaces
* maximize potential sleeping space:
* repurposing secondary space (basements, attics, sheds, terraces...)
* in-house tents!
* build "sleeping pods"
* practice "hot-bunking" (see Wiki🔗Hot_Racking(R/W) (radical)
* some more ideas:
* see 🔗hacking-housing(R/W) for non-standard architecture inspiration
* consider smoking and non-smoking places!
* FINANCES -- sustainable financial model:
* the proposed model is Subfinance:
described in 🔗subfinance(R/W) (especially "general expenses", presence)!
and 🔗manual#____BUDGETING(R/W) ("sustainable contribution")
* find effective suppliers:
food, energy, internet, etc
* expected cost is ~400€/month (all inclusive) anywhere in Europe
* COMMON WORKFLOW -- tools for notes, ideas and guiding action:
* set up a website:
* a hackerspaces.org entry will do at beginning
* you can also host it at totalism.org (mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
* add base to Hackerspaces.org🔗Hackbases(R/W) !
* also add base to:
* 🔗alike(R/W) list
* for CHT, see 🔗workflow(R/W), especially "localnet"
* also see parts of 🔗manual(R/W)
* PUBLICATION -- publish site & promote existence:
* basic listings:
* your own hackerspaces.org wiki profile
* link on Hackerspaces.org🔗Hackbases(R/W)
* add to 🔗alike(R/W)
* join #hackbases on Freenode
* consult 🔗pr(R/W) for more
* Hackerspaces.org🔗Hackbases(R/W) !
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.