READ version: http://totalism.org/e2h.php?_=nomadbases-reboot
EDIT version: http://pad.totalism.org/p/nomadbases-reboot
Table of Contents
The idea is to set up a world wide netowork of nomadbases: http://nomadwiki.org/en/Nomadbase_network
http://nomadbase.org is sitting there for years without new initiative, and losing in value. It's a waste that nothing happens, and it's hurting the whole "movement" :) It's not universally clear who's holding the keys, who's making the decisions about that, and on what grounds. Waiting for "the right idea" has been taking a bit too long I think, and it's time to pass the keys and give an opportunity. Some sort of a "democratic" decision of the stakeholders is preferred, but I think we all have the same interest, so this is here just to give the initiative.
Kasper has been proven to be a reliable domain holder. A transfer is not necessary to add new content in my eyes. --kardan
* >guaka installs, or allows access to install:
* move important stuff from nomadbase.org to http://nomadwiki.org
* move minutes from the Berlin hackathon over here: https://piratenpad.de/D7Krh5QPiy
* add map
* +traumschule +guaka +realitygaps +dcht00 decide: <------------------- (NOW)
* whether we can decide by vote:
* vote on what to put on nomadbase.org:
* collect everyone's proposals and preferences:
everyone with a suggestion to come forward
* make a decision
* ... in a timeframe:
by (I propose) October 1st 2017
* form by consensus a responsibility/charter:
* retain the old content on guaka's server in it's current form
* put *something* there that will be a ground for collecting and improving the relevant information about nomadbases
domain & current content server
also, nomadwiki.org domain+installation
* email@example.com <-- proposes #B (Etherpad + E2H + maps)
* traumschule <-- proposes an easily editable map (see #C below)
* mikael/trustroots (seen, cheers! Sorry just no time to help out here.)
----------------- informed & need to see this (I invited 2017-09-13)
* guaka (Kasper) - domain holder
* realitygaps - admin
----------------- also might be interested / to invite?
* the various new nomadbase projects to write about their place
* Robino (casarobino.org)
* write email proppsal
* if there's disagreements, start a Loomio
Nomadbases email to invite for contributions
this is an email draft to be sent out to possible nomadbases and to be published on casarobino.org
1) mail to kasper, robino, richard
Please take some minutes to bring the idea of nombases forward.
in the last weeks a lot of content has been moved from sharewiki.org to nomadwiki.org. Some pages have been left behind, because they may be outdated:
There are more than 50 locations now: http://nomadwiki.org/en/Category:Locations
realitygaps and kardan worked on a map for nomadbase.org. A technical example is on [ http://gapsinreality.com/nomadbases ]. A map with locations in nomadwiki is on [ https://traumschule.org/map ]. See also http://nomadwiki.org/en/Nomadbase.org
To put this on nomadbase.org server access is needed. How can we organize this the easiest way?
The concept of nomadbases is more than 10 years old but maybe got forgotten a bit. With a (digital) meeting we could try to reach new people and reconnect with former hosts. What do you think about a meeting in a town in October or November? Some ideas are on http://nomadwiki.org/en/Nomadbase_network
SHE goes MAD was in 2009, results can still be accessed. Maybe some of the points could be transferred to nomadwiki: https://totalism.org/e2h.php?link=teams.piratenpad.de&pad=D7Krh5QPiy&NONLITE&STYLE
The whole process is documented on http://totalism.org/e2h.php?_=nomadbases-reboot
Please share your ideas!
2) mail to the community
Your place is listed on https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Residencies
Please take some minutes to update your data. We would like to know, if your place offers accommodation for nomadic hackers.
A) point it to nomadwiki.org (SEMANTIC MEDIAWIKI):
"Nomadbases - Places that host nomadic travellers." (on the right) should link to http://nomadwiki.org/en/Category:Nomadbase
B) firstname.lastname@example.org takes over at least transitionally (ETHERPAD + MAPS + E2H):
I would use the publicaly editable (Etherpad-based) E2H system on it:
The site would be rebooted the same day.
I would personally admin it to prevent content destruction.
It would contain:
* a title
* a publically editable map, with admin oversight + rollback
* an etherpad-based wiki that would serve as a place to assemble existing nomadbases related content, and somehow interconnect with nomadwiki.org
The main goals of the reboot:
* assemble the existing content!
* present it in a new, better way
* build a group of people that communicate and push nomadbases forward, and the needed infrastructure/workflow for that!
* I have the time to do it.
* I'm running 🔗alike, 🔗maps, 🔗calendar, and other sites that kind of connect into this.
* CHT (🔗web) is a nomadbase since 2011.
* I work hard on finding and bringing content together, which this really needs.
* Even if you don't like E2H right now, please say why. I'll keep developing it, and accept constructive proposals!
Improvements to E2H this would incentivize:
* move maps part from Google to OSM
* [...] <-------- add ideas here
I plan to run it a transitional site:
If something better comes along by my own, I commit to let go of the domain then.
Other people are doing cool things and writing their own dedicated CMSs that might someday be used for this (like Ecobasa, Trustroots people, ...).
But until then nomadbase.org should not be dead!
C) add map
http://nomadwiki.org is a publicly editable directory for traveling and open spaces with a database of locations
https://traumschule.org/map shows a map from the coordinates saved in nomadwiki
How this works:
* places have semantic information as http://nomadwiki.org/en/CHT_hackbase:
* a template generates a list of places with geolocations in JSON format: http://nomadwiki.org/en/JSON_markers?action=render
* fetch markers from nomadbase.org, see https://github.com/traumschule/Leaflet_Example
* (optional) plugin to download offline maps: https://github.com/robertomlsoares/leaflet-offline
* (optional) create "Walking Papers" for hitchhiking https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cached_copy_of_Camp_Roberts_Planing_2010_Notes#Walking_Papers_Atlas
For making the map - why wouldn't you then just use the semantic mediawiki map capability, like on https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Residencies ?
I will set up the maps plugin, once Guake answered. Until then, I develop https://traumschule.org/map
See also http://nomadwiki.org/en/Nomadwiki.org:Community_portal#Maps
D) offer git pull requests for nomadbase.org / subfolders / subdomains
Theoretically all interested people could update the content, even if (github/free alternativies) is a technical hurdle.
I don't think this non standard model is a good fit for the community.
Except if somebody would make a web interface for adding/editing that could also commit to the main repository...
I agree, it's better to use the wiki form to add locations: http://nomadwiki.org/en/Special:FormStart
E) join efforts with nomadbase.info
contact: https://richardflett.com (attained HG17 at Traumschule), mail: email@example.com
https://nomadbase.info/topic/blog/ has some posts relevant for nomad bases. how much effort is it to add them to drupal?
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Residencies has a list and map of possible hackbases (hackerspaces with accommodation)
the list is possibly outdated. places should be contacted and asked if their info is valid.
more totalism.org todos: https://totalism.org/e2h.php?_=todos#____RSS_feed
********** PAD / OPEN TALK
just found out i tried to organize a reboot in april 2013....
but i think i didn't actually get to properly invite the people.
it was an attempt to build bridges between some organisations which are now "playing solo".
Nomadbase.org restart as Common ground for innovation & creativity-minded colive/cowork/collab ("planned networks of") spaces in EU.
Do we get together to do this in real life?
These initiatives all have a single space, but want to build networks.
I think we all agreed we would like to form a workgroup to define common ground and discuss model differences, but make them clear, recognizable, and co-existing.
+ Totalism / CHT#1 (host)
+ Edgeryders.eu / Unmonastery
+ Mutinerie Coworking / [placeholder]
+ Elf Pavlik
+ Space Federation
+ Emerging Leader Labs
+ ...please mention others in comments
This is exactly what we were discussing with Nadia, Pavlik, Kasper and Antoine at this OuiShare panel:
Topics: [placeholder for open doc discussing this].
<---------------------------- (new): unstructured BELOW, structured ABOVE
>kardan, how did you send a mail ("#2") to all on nomadwiki.org ?
individually or you used some mailer / plugin?
how should we do it in the future? (think: mailing lists, probably 1 moderated announce with in-channel, 1 discuss/talk)
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.