What we do
DRAFT. Last updated:
Table of Contents
* Quick transformative dive [onsite, 2w/100h]
Every organisation now has something to do with data, information retrieval, conceptual models, machine learning, etc.
In 2 weeks:
* figure out the main organisational and technical problems, and fully document them
* quickly solve something truly painful
* prototype research & development into an agreed innovative direction
* consult + design a longer term data/smart data strategy
Cooperations are picked according to alignment of goals and other match criteria. The charge is significantly lower than comparable services, changing the accessibility of this service.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Example outcome (Belgian software/media company):
* fixed a broken Solr search engine instance
* rethought their database model (conceptual clearing for future proofing, performance improvements)
* made plans for graph database and "extended use of data"
* made foundation for reinforced learning on example that influence search weights
* made foundation for statistical test infrastructure
* written up single page executive report for future tech (can be used when looking for VC)
Example outcome (UK open hardware project):
* base structure and vision-setting for this "zero stage" (🔗non-shitty) startup
* for results, see 🔗voxelcraft
* Consult / outsource research [offsite, 4w/50h]
* Initial brainstorming
* Compile white papers / green papers / executive reports
* Hold regular consulatory briefing
* Prototype coding / development
* Overview: Groupware (collaboration software and processes) [50h + 100h/Y]
* 15h talk + preparation + investigate
* 15h setup
* 15h overview + fixes
* Hosting + system administration for small collaborative groups [20h + 100h/Y]
Especially as the only administrator.
* initial setup
* regular maintenance
* support + educating
* select hardware and responsible/reliable shops/isp services
* 5h talk + preparation
* 16h setup
* 8h initial education
* 8h support requests
* Software deployment and integration
* own software:
* other FLOSS software (especially with existing know-how or priority to learn)
* Replacing proprietary software
With FLOSS alternatives.
* custom directioned development
* Development projects
* directioned existing product improvement
* software development on top of products we already use
* ... especially FLOSS
* custom development ("services", "R&D", etc)
software, design, ...
* micro-projects, <10h
* mini-projects, <50h
* larger projects, ~500h:
always break down in 100h max deliverables!
* participating in a creative project ("R&D")
* with other groups:
take care to transfer responsibility to wider community later
* art projects:
usually as a part of a group, that is coordinate under a grant
usually also includes (re)deployments, presentations, etc
* Teaching and educating
* workshops (for groups, public)
Typically 2-10 people, on set topics.
(this offering could be auto-generated from THOUGHTSPACE)!
* mentoring young people (in schools, etc)
Connect with existing institutions that coordinate.
Fill any voids in coordination.
* Scratch course (or equivialent)
* Simple hardware projects (eg arduino, raspberry)
* Navigate the internet
* available on site regulary (once a week, 2h, all year)
* individual mentorship
* in public space
* local / in-person
* Re-Sales, Supply chain operations
* re-selling specific base goods, see 🔗ordering
* researching and deploying ethical and effective supply chains.
(for more, also see)
* 🔗coop \ "Coop finds and coordinates"
* dcht00🔗bizcase, dcht00🔗bizmodel
* other segments from 🔗non-shitty
* Applying to grants
* our open code work
* model work!
* improvements of existing projects
* Applying to contests / bounties / freelance work
* bug bounties
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
+ can do it when there's no other work
+ quick turnaround?
- jury receives work from everyone, then decides winner:
maybe get zero compensation
they might steal parts of work, and incorporate it into end solution
OTHER FINANCIAL MEANS
* Open to receive donations
Must be able to receive donations in some form.
See 🔗donate !
* Open to receive investment ?
b) "startbursts" aka "spinoffs"
c) indirect profitability (better environment, support from locals)
* existing projects
* new undertakings
STUFF IS MISSING!
* own product teaching
* own product deployment
* own product sales
ALIKE / USE AS REFERENCE
* http://bits.coop/ (via +substack) !
http://www.design-shift.com/ "what we do":
* "product definition"
* "Quality Assurance, Reliability, Compliance and Certification"
LABOUR BY TYPE
* in-house / on-site
Work at the institution.
* remote 1 : collaborative work (individual contact)
Have an individual to communicate.
* remote group : project work (several developers)
This is how companies usually lead work.
Preferred way - always work doubled or tripled down:
* can be a learning experience (especially for part of group set)
* increased reliability, quality (because reviews)
* anonymous work:
* only from employer: does not employ you directly, might not know who you are!
* from all: specific payment paths/options!
Domain knowledge expertise
* information technology:
* software design
* groupware, collaborative software
* FLOSS / open innovation
* semantic web
* philosophy, theory, humanities, scientific research
* conferences and events
* outdoor, camping
* journalism, investigative journalism
* publishing, media, hypermedia
* cooperatives, new productive models, peer to peer
* systems thinking
* Canary Islands
* music, studio, composition
* dietetics / nutriology, nootropics
* project management
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.